-   Page Layout (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Can't delete section break (next page) (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=100337)

Bobbi February 13th 08 06:29 AM

Can't delete section break (next page)

Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just won't go
away?

Bobbi

DeanH February 13th 08 08:23 AM

Can't delete section break (next page)

Try selecting the previous and following paragraph marks as well, then delete.
Does this work?
DeanH

Bobbi February 13th 08 05:49 PM

Can't delete section break (next page)

No, it doesn't work. I've had this problem previously. Once you insert a
"section break (next page)" it's almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi

Bob Buckland ?:-\) February 13th 08 06:23 PM

Can't delete section break (next page)

Hi Bobbi,

To remove the section break, one method is to be in Print layout view turn on the nonprinting character display using the show/hide
icon from the toolbar. Place your cursor just before the section break indicator in your document and tap the delete key twice.

===============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Bobbi February 14th 08 07:22 AM

Can't delete section break (next page)

Hi, Bob-

No, that's not working for me either. (That's what I normally try to do.) It
deletes other stuff than the section break!

My problem always occurs in documents where I switch from one column (for
headings) to two columns (for text) using section breaks. Most of the
section breaks are continuous, but sometimes I need to use a section break-

However, I think it's easier to delete in Normal View, not print layout.

Bobbi

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

DeanH February 14th 08 12:03 PM

Can't delete section break (next page)

Now I understand, this in relation to a Multi-Column format.
This can cause aggrevation and I have had the same problem in the past.
Section Break Continuous is the best option to use for Column format
changes, one at start and one at end of the multiple column section (then end
one as you probably know helps with balancing the column lengths).
Is the Next Page break you wish to delete at the start, middle or end of the
multi-column section?
Is the NextPage break the one that starts the multi-column section?
If so, instead of deleting, have you tried changing the break to a
continuous and then use Page Break Before paragraph setting to accomplish the
desired effect.
DeanH

Bobbi February 15th 08 04:54 AM

Can't delete section break (next page)

Hi, Dean-

You're right that using Section Break Continuous and then Page Break seems
to be the best way to go. But it seems to be easier to delete the Section
Break Next Page while in Normal View. However, I'm just not gonna use it any
more.

Bobbi

Suzanne S. Barnhill February 15th 08 01:37 PM

Can't delete section break (next page)

Deleting section breaks rarely works the way you intended, but you can
change the section start type on the Layout tab of Page Setup.

Stefan Blom February 18th 08 09:25 AM

Can't delete section break (next page)

For more on what Suzanne is talking about, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

a d September 23rd 10 10:10 AM

delete / remove section break (next page)

check out:

http://tortoiseshell.net/coffeebreak...on-breaks.html

i guess all you have to do is put the cursor BEFORE the break and just 'delete' it rather than trying to 'backspace' it

:)

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:29 AM Bobbi wrote:

Word 2003: How can I delete a "section break (next page)"? It just will not go
away?

Bobbi

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:23 AM Dean wrote:

Try selecting the previous and following paragraph marks as well, then delete.
Does this work?
DeanH

"Bobbi" wrote:

On Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:49 PM Bobbi wrote:

No, it does not work. I have had this problem previously. Once you insert a
"section break (next page)" it is almost impossible to get rid of.

Sigh!

Bobbi

"Bobbi" wrote in message

On Monday, February 18, 2008 4:25 AM Stefan Blom wrote:

For more on what Suzanne is talking about, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

Book Review: Excel 2010 - The Missing Manual [OReilly]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...l-oreilly.aspx