-   Microsoft Word Help (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How do I get a fraction like 3/16 to format like 1/2 does? (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=102034)

fractioneer March 12th 08 06:47 PM

How do I get a fraction like 3/16 to format like 1/2 does?

I cannot figure out how to make the fraction format for oddball fractions...
I teach math and need to type fractions like 7/8 or 1/16 and all I can get it
to do is 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4! HELP!

Peter A March 12th 08 08:48 PM

How do I get a fraction like 3/16 to format like 1/2 does?

In article ,
says...
I cannot figure out how to make the fraction format for oddball fractions...
I teach math and need to type fractions like 7/8 or 1/16 and all I can get it
to do is 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4! HELP!

It's because the fractions 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4 are single characters in
most fonts, but other fractions such as 3/8 are not - you must compose
them of three characters: a 3, a slash, and an 8. You can get a similar
effect by making the numerator a superscript, followed by a slash, and
the denominator in a smaller font - but it seems like a lot of work!

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

frisket March 27th 19 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fractioneer (Post 325391)
I cannot figure out how to make the fraction format for oddball fractions...
I teach math and need to type fractions like 7/8 or 1/16 and all I can get it
to do is 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4! HELP!

If you're doing math then you should really look at using LaTeX instead of Word. Fractions are then trivial, and are automatically formatted and positioned correctly, eg \frac{13}{16}

LaTeX is free and runs on all platforms. More details at the user group pages https://tug.org