-   Microsoft Word Help (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "L" shaped margin marks (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=125122)

JGreg7 March 16th 09 03:09 PM

"L" shaped margin marks

These "L" shaped margin markers showed up when I open a document sent from a
colleague, and now I can not get rid of them.

I searched the forums, and found a reference to Microsoft Office Tools, and
then click Microsoft Office XP Language Settings to turn off Asian language
support.

However, I do not have the "Microsoft Office XP Language Settings" link in
my menu. Does anyone know which actual file this is so I can access it
directly?

garfield-n-odie [MVP] March 16th 09 04:51 PM

"L" shaped margin marks

In Word 2007, click on Office Button | Word Options | Advanced |
scroll down to the "Show document content" section and uncheck
the "Show crop marks" box | OK.

In Word 2003 or earlier, you need to remove support for East
Asian languages in Microsoft Office Language Settings as
described at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839371 "Margin
marks or crop marks appear on each corner of the page when you
open a document in Word".

JGreg7 March 16th 09 10:04 PM

"L" shaped margin marks

I read that article, but I do not have "Microsoft Office 2003 Language
Settings" on my start menu.

Suzanne S. Barnhill March 16th 09 11:38 PM

"L" shaped margin marks

You need to look for Start | Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office
Tools | Microsoft Office Language Settings.

http://word.mvps.org

amy March 17th 09 01:11 AM

"L" shaped margin marks

Hi JGreg7,

I'm in the same boat as you. I suspect that the company I work for has
removed access to the language settings file.

You get used to the margin marks after a while.

Amy

garfield-n-odie [MVP] March 17th 09 02:01 AM

"L" shaped margin marks

Hmmm... maybe you should more carefully read the article and/or
Suzanne Barnhill's reply, because Microsoft Office Language
Settings is not supposed to be directly on your Start menu. The
setting is not stored in an actual file, but in a Windows
registry key, which you probably should not fiddle with lest you
accidentally read it.

JGreg7 March 17th 09 02:28 PM

"L" shaped margin marks

I solved the issue! I copied the start menu MS Office Tools folder and files
from my home computer, into the MS Office start menu directory on my work
computer. Once these files were copied, I went to the start menu, and
clicked on the language support file. I got a brief "Installing" notice,
then the language dialog came up.

I guess I was not being clear in my posting. Appaerently our IT department
decided we did not need these tools.... Hmmm.

Thank you all for your help.

phost March 30th 09 04:01 PM

"L" shaped margin marks

I'm still stumped - I went to Word Options - cannot even find anything that
says advanced - those stupid corner marks are still there - I went to
languages - doesn't show anything for Asian support - under Tools and
Language - it does show Japanese consistency checker -- but I cannot find any
place to turn it off.

grammatim[_2_] March 30th 09 07:13 PM

"L" shaped margin marks

If you see the (harmless) corner marks, then your computer (rather
than Word) is set up so that you can type Chinese, Japanese, or
Korean.

If you do not need to be able to type in any of those languages, go to
Start Control Panel Regional and Language Options [and from here
on, XP and Vista differ] Keyboards, and delete the Chinese, Japanese,
and Korean keyboards from the list you will find.

WitchyWoman March 28th 19 02:08 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm an old gal with an old copy of Word XP that I was trying to install on an old Win 7 laptop. I ran into the L marks opening a .doc, and I couldn't remember how to remove 'em, cuz I'm too old and I'm blonde and I have brain rot. I stumbled on this thread and although the solution didn't make any sense to me whatsoever (Asian language support giving me these header/footer marks? WTF???), I went ahead and tried it, cuz nothing else was working, and LO AND BEHOLD!! IT WORKED!!! YAAAAAYYY!!!

I registered for this forum solely for the purpose of thanking you guys for helping out. You rock my world. I'd party like it's 1999, but I'm too old for that, so just....thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. 3