-   Mailmerge (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How do I format a phone number in a mail merge field? (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19529)

Halley May 27th 05 12:23 AM

How do I format a phone number in a mail merge field?

I tried the following, and it did nothing. I tried a few other variations,
but they all gave me errors.

{ MERGEFIELD "PHONE" \"(###) ###-####"}

Graham Mayor May 27th 05 04:38 AM

{Mergefield Phone \# "(###) ###'-'####"}
see also http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

AnhVu November 11th 05 03:22 PM

How do I format a phone number in a mail merge field?

I tried to do like that. But No effect!!! Why?
First I merge from Word then I click in {...} I add \# .... and nothing
happend.
I tried to visit your web and tried every example. And no one effect.Please
help me. What step I wrong?

Graham Mayor November 11th 05 03:31 PM

How do I format a phone number in a mail merge field?

Did you update the field after adding the switch?

In your merge source document insert the phone number field. It will look
something like
phone
Right click and toggle the display. It will now look like
{Mergefield Phone}
Add the switch this
{Mergefield Phone \# "(###) ###'-'####"}
Press F9 to update
then toggle the display back again (if it has not already done so.)
Execute the merge to a new document.
Voila!

me04984 August 11th 07 10:28 PM

How do I format a phone number in a mail merge field?

This is an old post but I find it helpful. However, when I put in the code
you suggest, I get ( )- -2462 for example, where it prints only the last
four. What format does the data base have to be in to make it come out right?
Actually, I would prefer having it listed as 207-555-2462 in my listings, if
possible.

Graham Mayor August 13th 07 05:51 AM

How do I format a phone number in a mail merge field?

That's a text string. You cannot format a text string in a merge field. The
only way to do it would be to edit your data source to show 2075552462. You
can then add a formatting switch of your choice eg \# "###'-'###'-'####" -
see http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm .

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

me04984 wrote:
(207) 555-2462

Peter Jamieson August 13th 07 11:02 AM

How do I format a phone number in a mail merge field?

What is the data source? And are absolutely all your phone numbers in that
precise format (e.g., even mobile and international numbers, if any) ?

Peter Jamieson
"me04984" wrote in message
(207) 555-2462

Varda June 24th 17 08:43 PM

I've read this entire thread several times, tried all the suggestions, but am having the same exact issue the person wrote below. The weird thing is that this happens to SOME of the records, and not all of them.

I've checked my database and the phone numbers are all stored in the same manner. Yet the printed mail merging in Word shows this for some of the phone numbers:
(- ) -1635

[quote=me04984;278569]This is an old post but I find it helpful. However, when I put in the code