-   Formatting Long Documents (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=155332)

Connie Maldonado June 28th 12 02:51 PM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any suggestions?

Stefan Blom[_3_] June 28th 12 07:19 PM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

What kind of style are you referring to? Paragraph style? Character style? What
settings are lost, exactly?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[email protected] November 29th 12 05:54 PM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

Me too. Same problem.

Lisa Wilke-Thissen November 29th 12 08:29 PM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

Hi,

I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I
reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no
longer there.

maybe, following option is enabled: Developer Tools | Templates |
Document Template | Automatically Update Document Styles.

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

[email protected] January 3rd 13 04:07 PM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

I have the same problem:
When I save my Word 2010 document the style looks fine.
BUT when I close and reopen the file, the font colour of the style has changed from black to grey.

If I try to edit the style it tells me that the font is black (although it is displaying as grey). I have to change the colour of one sentence that uses this style and then update the style to match that sentence. I have to do this every time I open the document.

I followed Lisa's recommendation given he but that option is not checked on my PC (Developer Tools | Templates | Document Template | Automatically Update Document Styles)

Stefan Blom[_3_] January 4th 13 01:44 AM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

If you select the problem text and press Ctrl+SpaceBar, to reset font
formatting to that of the underlying paragraph style, then what happens?

Does the grey color print? Does it display in Print Preview?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[email protected] January 4th 13 05:58 PM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

Thanks Stefan for response. To answer your questions:
Ctrl+SpaceBar doesn't seem to do anything
The text appears grey on the screen; in print preview and prints grey
Once corrected to black; then it is black on the screen, in print preview and prints black.

But I have just found a solution! ...
I went to "Modify style" where "Style based on" showed that the style was based on a style with font colour grey.
So I changed "Style based on" to "(no style)". I then had to edit the style to be what I wanted it to be.
Now when I close and reopen the document it is fine.
It's still strange that the problem existed but at I have a solution.

Stefan Blom[_3_] January 4th 13 08:18 PM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Note that when a style A is based on another style B, a particular setting
from B is duplicated in A until you explicitly change it in A (or until you
set the base style to "(no style)" of course).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[email protected] January 7th 13 10:20 AM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

Thanks Stefan. You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere)

Stefan Blom[_3_] January 7th 13 02:53 PM

Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

How annoying! :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP