-   New Users (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to get Microsoft Word to find the bullet symbol: Font: Symbol Character code 183? (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=155398)

roseuz July 31st 12 11:57 PM

How to get Microsoft Word to find the bullet symbol: Font: Symbol Character code 183?

How on earth can I get Microsoft word to find this character. Copying and pasting the character in the find box doesn't work.

The character is the bullet symbol, which you can reproduce by changing the font to Symbol and by finding it in the symbol list or by pressing ALT + 0183 (maybe 183 without the zero for others).

I know the solution is mentioned here http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=86902, but I don't quite understand it because I can't even reproduce the heart symbol that the user is talking about there.

Venky62 August 1st 12 06:11 AM

You have to use the unicode(hex) code and type Alt+x after that. Do this.
1. Open the Find and Replace dialog box. Place your cursor in the Find field.

2. Type 2022 and then press Alt+x. It will change to the bullet symbol.

3. Click Find Next. It should locate the bullet symbol in your text.

Of course, you may be aware that this will not find bulleted lists. The bullets in the bulleted list are virtual characters just as the numbers are in a number list. They are not actual text.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseuz (Post 492972)
How on earth can I get Microsoft word to find this character. Copying and pasting the character in the find box doesn't work.

The character is the bullet symbol, which you can reproduce by changing the font to Symbol and by finding it in the symbol list or pressing ALT + 0183 (maybe 183 without the zero for others).

roseuz August 1st 12 08:18 AM

Thank you for trying to help, but I guess in me saying bullet, I have misled you. I used that word because the symbol looks like a bullet, but only larger.

The numbers you have provided me with are for an actual bullet but not for the symbol I am asking about.

2022 is the Unicode (hex): That's how it's shown in the symbol list in Microsoft Word 2007 and the word Unicode precedes the word hex for most common symbols.

However, for the symbol I am asking about, the word hex is preceded by the word Symbol, since it's the Symbol font that's being used. It is shown like this: Symbol (hex) and 00B7 is shown in the character mode box. Trying what you said does with these values does not work. (with your numbers for the actual bullet, it of course works).

183 is shown in the Character box for Symbol (decimal).

The bottom line: I still need help. If you or anyone can try, I will be very grateful.

P.S. To your last point, I did already know what you mentioned. I only used the word bullet since it's a common symbol, the symbol I am working with looks like a bullet, and also because I figured that would attract more people to the post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venky62 (Post 492975)

Venky62 August 1st 12 12:30 PM

You are right. I am stumped. Cannot find a way around it. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseuz (Post 492977)

gustavowoltmann December 2nd 20 06:21 AM

Its not a hard and for this, You have basic knowledge of words. Now this time, Its very useful for child's. Gustavo Woltmann