-   Microsoft Word Help (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How do I convert a Wordpad file to a Word document (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=42150)

Graham Mayor January 25th 06 03:29 PM

How do I convert a Wordpad file to a Word document

How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

tom scott wrote:
When I create a document and save it as a word file, it shows up on my
desktop as a Wordpad file which I can't work with in the same way and
with the same tools as in Word.doc format. How can I save documents
so that they don't convert to Wordpad. Or, how can I convert wordpad
documents to Word.doc format?

Carla January 25th 06 04:01 PM

How do I convert a Wordpad file to a Word document

Right click your document and select "open with" then click "choose program".
Find Microsoft Word in your list and check the box that says "Always use the
selected program to open this kind of file" and click OK. Now every doc
should open automatically in Word.

If you ever want to open wordpad or notepad you can also right click and
chose open with and click the program if it's listed. If not click chose
program and select the program you want. Just don't check that check box.

As a side note sometimes I don't see the open with option when I right
click. If this happens to you, hold the shift key down while you right click.

HTH,
Carla

Juan Carlos February 5th 09 09:21 PM

How do I convert a Wordpad file to a Word document

I tried these suggestions and they did not work for me. I am running Word
2003 and Microsoft XP. Documents that I create and save in word end up with
a wordpad icon. Also, the "properties" window says that the "type of file"
is a wordpad document, even though it was created with Word. I have tried
the right click, open with, choose program solution and that did not work. I
also opened up explorer and changed the file associations for .doc and .rtf
files to Word, but that does not work. To be clear, although the documents
bear wordpad icons, they do open up in microsoft word. The only exception is
when I attempt to open a word document from my thumb drive. Then, it opens
in wordpad instead. I would appreciate any help.