-   Mailmerge (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mail Merge pick up 2nd row containing Titles from Excel Worksheet (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=103619)

[email protected] April 4th 08 06:01 AM

Mail Merge pick up 2nd row containing Titles from Excel Worksheet

This is a simple question but I can't remember how to do this. First
of all I am using Microsoft Word 2003. What I am trying to do is a
mail merge from an excel worksheet. Normally I have no problems doing
this but unfortunately the worksheet I was given does not have the
Title row as the first row instead the Title row is on the second row.

When I select the recipient list I go "browse" then I select the Excel
worksheet and I make sure to uncheck the box that says "First row of
data contains header columns". But the mail merge is still picking up
the first row as the title of the columns.

How do I change the mail merge so that it picks up the second row as
the column titles?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Doug Robbins - Word MVP April 4th 08 07:55 AM

Mail Merge pick up 2nd row containing Titles from Excel Worksheet

Delete the first row of the spreadsheet would be the best thing to do.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

[email protected] April 4th 08 07:59 PM

Mail Merge pick up 2nd row containing Titles from Excel Worksheet

wrote in message

This is a simple question but I can't remember how to do this. *First
of all I am using Microsoft Word 2003. *What I am trying to do is a
mail merge from an excel worksheet. *Normally I have no problems doing
this but unfortunately the worksheet I was given does not have the
Title row as the first row instead the Title row is on the second row.

When I select the recipient list I go "browse" then I select the Excel
worksheet and I make sure to uncheck the box that says "First row of
data contains header columns". *But the mail merge is still picking up
the first row as the title of the columns.

How do I change the mail merge so that it picks up the second row as
the column titles?

Thanks in advance
Lee- Hide quoted text -

I can't do that it is not my spreadsheet. I have tried to explain to
the owner of the spreadsheet that deleting that row would be easier
but they refuse. According to them they have to have that row.

That's why I am so frustrated I can't figure out how to set up the
mail merge to recognize that the second row is the title row.

Thanks in Advance,
Lee

[email protected] April 7th 08 06:33 AM

Mail Merge pick up 2nd row containing Titles from Excel Worksheet

wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for the suggestion but I am a little concerned about doing
it that way.

For the last couple of years I have been voluntarily helping an
elderly group of people run a small company. The age range is between
68 and 75 and most of them are terrified of the computer. Since I am
leaving I have been documenting everything that I do and putting
together a manual for them. The one problem I have run into is
printing the labels. I am a little concerned about telling them to
make a copy of the spreadsheet, delete the first row then run the
labels. That seems sort of dangerous for people that are unsure of
what they are doing. Do you have any other suggestion?

If not I will recommend they do it this way. I apologize for the
inconvenience and I appreciate you help.

Thanks in Advance,
Lee

Doug Robbins - Word MVP April 7th 08 01:01 PM

Mail Merge pick up 2nd row containing Titles from Excel Worksheet

I would be picking a fight with the owner of the spreadsheet. They would
have a very difficult time trying to convince me that the row is necessary.

Darren Comeau April 9th 08 11:40 AM

Mail Merge pick up 2nd row containing Titles from Excel Worksheet

Hi

I had a similar problem today and couldn't find the answer either.
Deleting the top rows was not an option and half the merge fields were
missing.

I happened to stumble across a spreadsheet that had the print area set
and when I tried to import data from this it gave me the option of
whole spreadsheet or just print area.

This solved my issue so maybe it will for you too. Select the data you
want importing including field titles (so everything except first line
in your case). Set the print area. Now in word select a new data source
and choose "print are". You should only need to do this once.

You may be able to ask the provider of the excel spreadsheet to set the
print area before sending you the file to help avoiding old people
confusion ;-)

Hope this helped,

Darren.

;2706374 Wrote:
This is a simple question but I can't remember how to do this. First
of all I am using Microsoft Word 2003. What I am trying to do is a
mail merge from an excel worksheet. Normally I have no problems doing
this but unfortunately the worksheet I was given does not have the
Title row as the first row instead the Title row is on the second row.

When I select the recipient list I go "browse" then I select the Excel
worksheet and I make sure to uncheck the box that says "First row of
data contains header columns". But the mail merge is still picking up
the first row as the title of the columns.

How do I change the mail merge so that it picks up the second row as
the column titles?

Thanks in advance
Lee

--
Darren Comeau

Sheri Wood April 9th 19 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 330223)
This is a simple question but I can't remember how to do this. First
of all I am using Microsoft Word 2003. What I am trying to do is a
mail merge from an excel worksheet. Normally I have no problems doing
this but unfortunately the worksheet I was given does not have the
Title row as the first row instead the Title row is on the second row.

When I select the recipient list I go "browse" then I select the Excel
worksheet and I make sure to uncheck the box that says "First row of
data contains header columns". But the mail merge is still picking up
the first row as the title of the columns.

How do I change the mail merge so that it picks up the second row as
the column titles?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Leatrice,

Just select the row that you want to use as the header as a filter. Then when you select your sheet to be used in the drop down. You should see "spreadsheet_name_filter" in some configuration.

You then just select that sheet and you only have the information from the headers down or filtered headers down.

Sheri.