-   Microsoft Word Help (http://www.wordbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   insert arrow in document (http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113098)

Kelly September 3rd 08 07:49 PM

insert arrow in document

How do I add a down arrow in a word document?

Jim September 3rd 08 08:35 PM

insert arrow in document

Kelly, there are lots of different arrows (size and shapes) in the Windows
font called Windings 3, which ought to have been included in your Windows
installation. Go to Insert/Symbol and bring up Wingdings 3 as the font, then
simply choose the arrow you want and insert it. Real simple. BUT... if you
are sending this to another computer, you might want to enable the "Embed
TrueType Fonts" option under Tools/Options/Save. That way if the computer
you are sending to does not have the Wingdings 3 font, it will be embedded in
the document.

Jay Freedman September 3rd 08 08:36 PM

insert arrow in document

Kelly wrote:
How do I add a down arrow in a word document?

In most of the fonts usually used for body text, the down arrow character
will be Unicode value 2193. In recent versions of Word, you can type the
number 2193 in the text and then press Alt+X to convert it to the character.
In all versions you can use the Insert Symbol dialog
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...SpecChars.htm).

Alternatively, you can use one of the special symbol fonts, such as
Wingdings 3, that have a larger selection of arrows.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Suzanne S. Barnhill September 3rd 08 10:45 PM

insert arrow in document

Are you wanting an actual graphic arrow character or a dropdown field? If
the former, the others have provided your answer. If the latter, you need to
create a protected form; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm and especially
the forms tutorials by Dian Chapman that this article links to.

Or it may be that an AutoTextList field will be better for your purposes;
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm

Kelly September 4th 08 01:13 PM

insert arrow in document

For the most part, this was very helpful. I am specifically trying to match
the font of a right arrow. The auto correct feature in word creates a right
arrow when you type "--". I would like to see a down arrow with this same
formatting and using the 2193 code does not seem to produce the desired
result even though I am in the same font. Suggestions?

Suzanne S. Barnhill September 4th 08 02:26 PM

insert arrow in document

The arrows produced by AutoCorrect are in the Wingdings font. To get a down
arrow to match the one produced by --, use character 226 in Wingdings.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Kelly wrote:
How do I add a down arrow in a word document?

In most of the fonts usually used for body text, the down arrow character
will be Unicode value 2193. In recent versions of Word, you can type the
number 2193 in the text and then press Alt+X to convert it to the
character.
In all versions you can use the Insert Symbol dialog
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...SpecChars.htm).

Alternatively, you can use one of the special symbol fonts, such as
Wingdings 3, that have a larger selection of arrows.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so