Search: Posts made by: Peter T. Daniels
Forum: Microsoft Word Help December 3rd 20, 11:23 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Working on birthday "book" for my wife and having editing/layout trouble

I suggest you acquire a book on the most basic MSWord procedures.

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 9:31:12 PM UTC-5, WhoSentYou wrote:

Here are my current issues:

How do I make the spacing...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 26th 20, 05:00 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Styles, Themes and Templates

You can _change_ your Normal style however you'd like. (The changes
will then percolate through to all the styles that are based on it.)

I don't know about things like porting styles from one...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 5th 20, 02:02 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
.dotx doesn't work when opened from Windows Explorer

That suggests something has become corrupted in that particular file.

Do you have a backup copy?

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-5, SandrH wrote:
All of my other documents open...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 3rd 20, 10:12 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
.dotx doesn't work when opened from Windows Explorer

They're always "improving" Windows -- and "Office2007 is no longer
supported." I discovered that when I tried to look something up in
the Help menu and it refused even to consult the on-disk...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help October 15th 20, 02:34 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Problems with Saving Word Files

Looks like you'll have to go to the MS web site. The experts don't
check here any more.

n Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 8:05:15 AM UTC-4, Jfk wrote:
Hey Peter thanks for the reply.
My...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help October 15th 20, 12:50 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Problems with Saving Word Files

Your descripti0n is way too long to try to go through, but to
create a template you don't just name the file with a template
extension. You do it with Save As, where you'll find "template"
as an...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help October 9th 20, 09:41 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Spin Button in Word

The keyboard shortcut for increasing font size of selected text
(not by 1 pt., but to the next size in the dropdown list of sizes)
is Ctrl-Shift- (and decrease is Ctrl-Shift-). To get an...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help October 9th 20, 09:38 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
When I hit the Backspace button, my entire text is highlighted. WHYYYY?

It's possible that (somehow) your Backspace key has been assigned as
the Keyboard Shortcut for Select All.

You assign keyboard shortcuts to commands in the "customize QAT"
panel that you get from...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help September 8th 20, 12:54 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
End Note corruption captions and cross references

Sounds like a problem with EndNote X6. Can you simply remove it, and
just use Word's footnoting system?

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 3:31:08 AM UTC-4, mil0023 wrote:
Hello,

I've been...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help August 8th 20, 03:02 AM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Word 2007 Formatting Text

I'm not sure I know what you mean by Page Layout and Indent; I either
apply a Style that has indentation in it, or move the little upper
triangle in the ruler.

I wonder whether you've accidentally...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 22nd 20, 12:40 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Change straight quotes to curly quotes in an existing document

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 7:15:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 14:07:54 UTC+3, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
If the straight-quotes you want to keep are all in a...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 22nd 20, 12:07 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Change straight quotes to curly quotes in an existing document

If the straight-quotes you want to keep are all in a particular context
-- such as if they're foot-and-inch markers -- you could put that context
into your Find box using Wild Cards, replace them...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 20th 20, 12:38 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Has my post been deleted or is it awaiting moderation?

There is no moderation. There are few readers.

Try again -- and be very specific about "messed up."

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 9:31:08 PM UTC-4, Ravindra wrote:

I had created a new thread...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 15th 20, 03:04 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 52
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
How do you put cubed or squared after a number

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 9:36:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 2:55:01 PM UTC-5, Caroline wrote:

Trying to put numbers into a table and want to put a...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 12th 20, 01:41 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Print onto non standard size paper

There should be no problem setting you margins in Word to within 1/4
inch (3 mm) of the edge of the paper, and since you discovered how to
change the paper size and the margin size, maybe the...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help June 14th 20, 02:28 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
I Choose 2 columns and only get 1

How do you do the "choosing"? Columns are poorly handled, but you can
usually wrestle them into what you want.

Switch to Draft View and you will see the Section Breaks and Column Breaks.
Turn on...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help May 20th 20, 09:27 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Indention below paragraph mark...

This is not a problem with Word, but a problem with your OCR program.

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 3:31:06 PM UTC-4, kikola wrote:
Hello friends,
I making ocr of scanned document and indention...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 30th 20, 08:55 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Paragraph Cleaning

Do a Find-Replace. Open the panel (Ctrl-H). In the "Find" box, type ^p
(caret-p); that's the search character for the paragraph mark. In the
"Replace with" box, type one space. You won't see...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 22nd 20, 03:49 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
footnote bullet number calls

What are "bullet number calls"? Bullets are bullets, numbers are numbers,
and calls aren't anything in Word.

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 9:31:05 AM UTC-4, Dominic Ronayne wrote:
Hi all
I am...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 6th 20, 09:32 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Table of Contents

Does the title of the Index use the same Paragraph Style as each of the chapter titles?

Did you put the cursor where you want the ToF to be, and go to the Insert
Table of Figures icon on the...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help March 31st 20, 03:42 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
How do i automatically get a column of a table filled up afterfilling up the values

This sounds like a task for Excel -- which I know nothing about. I think
you can link an Excel table into a Word document?

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 9:31:06 AM UTC-4, Zaxest wrote:
Hi...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help March 24th 20, 04:24 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Blank Space on the left of footer

You need to change the left margin setting in the paragraph style
that the footer is set to. Just enter the footer and move the margin
marker in the ruler -- and then either save that as the Footer...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help March 19th 20, 10:03 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
two spaces

Do you mean "two lines," your lines of type are farther apart than they
should be? ("Spaces" are between words, what you get when you use the
Space Bar.)

Space between lines is controlled by the...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help March 13th 20, 02:44 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Can't remove white space to the left and right of table cells

A couuple of possibilities. (1) Your "cell margins" are set to some
figure -- the default in the US is 0.08 inch -- and you want to reduce
them. Under the Layout tab (which appears when your cursor...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help February 27th 20, 07:24 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 52
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
How do you put cubed or squared after a number

See the answer I gave to that message when it was posted more than three years ago. It appears immediately after.

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 12:58:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On...