Search: Posts made by: Julian
Forum: Microsoft Word Help May 25th 09, 11:57 AM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Julian
Music "Natural" sign

How do I type a natural sign (music) in MS Word? I thought it would be in the
Symbols but couldn't find it.
Forum: Microsoft Word Help March 6th 09, 10:23 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 4

"Gordon Bentley-Mix" wrote:

Thanks Dean. It _was_ F5 that I was thinking about, and now I remember how
it works as well. You're right; it's not quite the same thing, but very
handy indeed....
Forum: Microsoft Word Help March 5th 09, 09:52 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 4

Hi

I would like to know how I am able to go back to my previous position once I
have clicked a link to another section inside a word document.

Many time I need to follow a link to another part in...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 30th 08, 05:55 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 5
Posted By Julian
How do I set my Word doc to type 1/2 as a fraction of one space?

At one time my keyboard automatically reduced a fraction - like 1/2 or 7/8
to a one character fraction rather requiring 3 spaces. I typed the three
space entry but it displayed a one character on...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 21st 07, 12:53 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 0
Posted By Julian
Help with Customised Shortcut Menus Problem?

Word 2002/Word XP under Vista HP.

I customised the Text and Comment Shortcut menus (context menus) to add some
macro functionality but Word seems to forget the added items - however, if I
simply...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 10th 07, 10:41 AM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 7
Posted By Julian
Help request re "Too many spelling errors..."

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case, I'm out of ideas.

Fair enough! But thanks all the same for thinking about it - it's always
good to get another perspective.

Thanks again,

Julian
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 9th 07, 10:23 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 7
Posted By Julian
Help request re "Too many spelling errors..."

If the Hidden text really doesn't *need* to be spell checked, why don't you
apply a style that includes the "Do not check spelling or grammar" property?

Perhaps that wasn't clear enough: I meant...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 9th 07, 04:26 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 7
Posted By Julian
Help request re "Too many spelling errors..."

(I got an email notification of a reply and as I clicked the link thought
"Damn! It's my own stupid addendum...! But it wasn't...)

No, there are no spelling errors - at least Word says there are no...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 9th 07, 03:15 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 7
Posted By Julian
Help request re "Too many spelling errors..."

I have a theory that if a query goes too long here without any replies at all
everyone assumes it is unanswerable... maybe this will prompt someone else to
have a look!
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 6th 07, 05:09 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Julian
Second track changes by same reviewer

In Word 2002 use Options...User Information - change your user name and that
will be used for subsequent comments/revisions.

It would be quite easy to record e.g. two macros to toggle between...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 6th 07, 04:15 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 4
Posted By Julian
comments formatting

Just checked my document in Word 2002 and the style name to look for is
definitely "Comment Text" - this is the default style for comments. If you
have a style called "COMMENTS" you might need to...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 6th 07, 03:10 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 2
Posted By Julian
When I save a Word 2007 document it saves it as Read-Only

There is a related issue - though perhaps not your problem! - I see regularly
with a combination of Word 200 and Vista: even though the doc is NOT saved as
read-only, Word does not seem to release...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 6th 07, 03:06 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 5
Posted By Julian
Undo Stack

If you are happy to delve into VBA, lookup the "undoclear" method - that will
clear the undo stack (and delete any .WRL temp files that stored "undo"
history.

However, AFAIK undo's are not stored...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 6th 07, 03:02 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 4
Posted By Julian
comments formatting

As presented in Balloons or in the Reviewing pane?

Look for the styles "Comment Text" or "Balloon..." and see if they need to
be re-defined...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 6th 07, 02:56 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 7
Posted By Julian
Help request re "Too many spelling errors..."

Word 2002 (under Vista HP).

Large document (~750pp, ~250k words) organised in ~40 tables of 5 columns.

I have written code to show/hide columns, and to stop Word adjusting the row
height I also...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help September 27th 07, 12:53 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 0
Posted By Julian
Problem with Comments & the Reviewing Pane - can u help?

Word 2002 (under Vista HP)

I have a very large document (~750pp, 18MB on disc - in Word format) with
about 5,700 comments.

Whilst I try to avoid using the Reviewing Pane, sometimes it seems to be...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help September 25th 07, 08:40 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Julian
How do I import different headers when importing different files

I want to import a number of files to create one document with page
numbering. Each document has a different header. When I import the file the
header is lost.

a) How can you import the header...
Forum: Page Layout September 11th 07, 07:46 AM Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Replies: 1
Posted By Julian
Printing onto letterhead, with letterhead watermark for measuremen

Hi
I have seen it before where you can use a watermark of your printed
letterhead on word docs. It helps to measure up teh page etc without having
to print to see the layout page.

How to do this...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help August 6th 07, 01:22 AM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 3
Posted By Julian
Readability Stats & Flesch-Kincaid Formulae

Thanks for the comment Shauna -

My point is that the formulae are explicit in the help file - their
application should be trivial once one has determined ASL & ASW - but the
formulae don't agree...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help August 3rd 07, 12:34 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 3
Posted By Julian
Readability Stats & Flesch-Kincaid Formulae

When computing readability stats, Word helpfully gives the Average Sentence
Length as well as the Flesch Reading Ease and Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level.

If one inverts the formulae (as stated in the...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help June 29th 07, 09:44 AM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 0
Posted By Julian
Office CP Preview Handlers for Vista?

Vista will give me a preview of e.g. an RTF doc, but not .doc, .xls etc.

Since I shall be using Office XP for the foreseeable, how do I get Vista to
preview such docs? Special handlers? Some option...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 13th 07, 01:30 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Julian
Word 2007 should allow comment highlighting to be turned off

[I thought this was going direct to MS at first - I think I've already posted
a "suggestion" like this to a discussion group - apologies for boring the
pants off everyone]

Word 2007 highlights the...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 13th 07, 12:56 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 0
Posted By Julian
How to re-show disappeared balloon comments

Word 2002/XP...

I have a large document (~7MB) with ~4000 comments shown in balloons in page
layout mode.

Word occasionally seems to think there are no "tracked changes" (it isn't
on) - and no...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help March 29th 07, 02:52 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 0
Posted By Julian
Word 2007 - Comment Highlighting - Suggestion

In Page Layout View, the scope of Balloon Comments is always highlighted, in
a colour to match that of the associated comment balloon.

Please provide options, as alternatives and readily accessed...
Forum: New Users March 20th 07, 01:56 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Replies: 3
Posted By Julian
Questions on Comment Highlighting; Background; Keyboard Shortcuts

I've been using Word since... well, since Word came into existence... always
keen to get to grips with the latest and - hopefully - best!

So, my first questions about Word 2007:

1. Print layout...