Search: Posts made by: Peter T. Daniels
Forum: Microsoft Word Help June 1st 21, 02:44 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Image labeling incorrect

I think you may be confusing the label on your Figure Caption
with the text of your Figure Caption?

In that panel, you only put the "label," which comes built in --
Figure or Table, for instance...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 20th 21, 01:30 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
How do I changes Hindi digits to Arabic (western) digits in Word?

Even if you don't know how to build a macro (I don't), can you open
up the coding for it and merely substitute each of the 20 characters
where they occur within the macro? (Rename the macro before...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 18th 21, 08:50 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 6
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
change background color sizing

Yay! I've never used a built-in template. Maybe you have a more
recent version than I do!

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 3:31:06 PM UTC-4, GlazedIZ wrote:
Thanks again Peter. This is a weird one....
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 17th 21, 08:39 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 6
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
change background color sizing

Sounds like what a table would do. By "locked," do you mean the rectangle
of color stays the same while the typing area gets bigger? Then maybe
it's a Shape with a Fill.

If the color stays the same...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 16th 21, 10:15 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 6
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
change background color sizing

Maybe your document is set up as a table? What happens if you
just type Return at the end of one of the bullet-items under Skills?

On Friday, April 16, 2021 at 3:31:09 PM UTC-4, GlazedIZ wrote:
Forum: Microsoft Word Help April 9th 21, 10:15 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Page numbers on left and right without losing footer

I _think_ that when you make a global change to headers/footers,
the content gets wiped out. But you don't have to redo everything.
As long as each Section is marked "Same as Previous," go to the...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help March 8th 21, 05:16 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Reference Table

Your right margin has gone away?

Be sure the Ruler is showing, so that you can see where the tabs and the
margins are.

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 9:31:07 AM UTC-5, KarlB wrote:
Something has...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help January 23rd 21, 08:45 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Italicized page number getting cut off

Ler's see. Lots of different things going on there.

(1) Do you mean the right margin, or the right edge of the page?

(2) Italic letters do stick out to the right of where they would be
if they...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help January 13th 21, 02:55 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
line numbers on left and right of page?

No macros!

Just go to the Page Layout panel, the Layout tab (3rd one), at the
bottom is Line Numbers..., inside that button you find all the
parameters you want.

(I don't know about left AND...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help January 9th 21, 10:14 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
How do I create magnetic poetry style boxes around Words?

You can make one text box, sized it to fit an ordinary word, and
before you type anything into it, select it and copy it to the
clipboard (Ctrl-C). You can then paste it (Ctrl-V) into your text...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help December 19th 20, 10:06 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
combining characters changed colour

I've noticed that somewhere in the Word Options (accessed from the
bottom edge of the panel opened by the Office button) that there's a
checkbox to check that looks as though that might be its...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help December 3rd 20, 10:23 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Working on birthday "book" for my wife and having editing/layout trouble

I suggest you acquire a book on the most basic MSWord procedures.

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 9:31:12 PM UTC-5, WhoSentYou wrote:

Here are my current issues:

How do I make the spacing...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 26th 20, 04:00 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Styles, Themes and Templates

You can _change_ your Normal style however you'd like. (The changes
will then percolate through to all the styles that are based on it.)

I don't know about things like porting styles from one...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 5th 20, 01:02 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
.dotx doesn't work when opened from Windows Explorer

That suggests something has become corrupted in that particular file.

Do you have a backup copy?

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 9:31:09 PM UTC-5, SandrH wrote:
All of my other documents open...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help November 3rd 20, 09:12 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
.dotx doesn't work when opened from Windows Explorer

They're always "improving" Windows -- and "Office2007 is no longer
supported." I discovered that when I tried to look something up in
the Help menu and it refused even to consult the on-disk...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help October 15th 20, 02:34 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Problems with Saving Word Files

Looks like you'll have to go to the MS web site. The experts don't
check here any more.

n Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 8:05:15 AM UTC-4, Jfk wrote:
Hey Peter thanks for the reply.
My...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help October 15th 20, 12:50 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Problems with Saving Word Files

Your descripti0n is way too long to try to go through, but to
create a template you don't just name the file with a template
extension. You do it with Save As, where you'll find "template"
as an...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help October 9th 20, 09:41 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Spin Button in Word

The keyboard shortcut for increasing font size of selected text
(not by 1 pt., but to the next size in the dropdown list of sizes)
is Ctrl-Shift- (and decrease is Ctrl-Shift-). To get an...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help October 9th 20, 09:38 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 4
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
When I hit the Backspace button, my entire text is highlighted. WHYYYY?

It's possible that (somehow) your Backspace key has been assigned as
the Keyboard Shortcut for Select All.

You assign keyboard shortcuts to commands in the "customize QAT"
panel that you get from...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help September 8th 20, 12:54 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
End Note corruption captions and cross references

Sounds like a problem with EndNote X6. Can you simply remove it, and
just use Word's footnoting system?

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 3:31:08 AM UTC-4, mil0023 wrote:
Hello,

I've been...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help August 8th 20, 03:02 AM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Word 2007 Formatting Text

I'm not sure I know what you mean by Page Layout and Indent; I either
apply a Style that has indentation in it, or move the little upper
triangle in the ruler.

I wonder whether you've accidentally...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 22nd 20, 12:40 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Change straight quotes to curly quotes in an existing document

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 7:15:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 14:07:54 UTC+3, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
If the straight-quotes you want to keep are all in a...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 22nd 20, 12:07 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 9
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Change straight quotes to curly quotes in an existing document

If the straight-quotes you want to keep are all in a particular context
-- such as if they're foot-and-inch markers -- you could put that context
into your Find box using Wild Cards, replace them...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 20th 20, 12:38 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 2
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
Has my post been deleted or is it awaiting moderation?

There is no moderation. There are few readers.

Try again -- and be very specific about "messed up."

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 9:31:08 PM UTC-4, Ravindra wrote:

I had created a new thread...
Forum: Microsoft Word Help July 15th 20, 03:04 PM Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Replies: 53
Posted By Peter T. Daniels
How do you put cubed or squared after a number

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 9:36:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 2:55:01 PM UTC-5, Caroline wrote:

Trying to put numbers into a table and want to put a...