Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Combining Cross-References and Removing Trailing Spaces

Hi folks...

I want to automatically combine cross-references in Microsoft Word
2003, so that they appear in a list when I refer to them. For example,
in a list of references like

[1] First Reference
[2] Second Reference
[3] Third Reference
[4] Fourth Reference
[5] Fifth Reference
[6] Sixth Reference

I would like to be able to refer to, say, the second, the fifth and the
sixth, not as

[2], [5], [6]

but rather as

[2, 5, 6].

Can this be done automatically by Word and, if yes, how?

On another question, every time I insert a cross-reference (e.g., [3]),
there is an annoying trailing space (say _) included (i.e., I get
[3]_). The only way I have found for removing it is by right-clicking
on the reference, selecting "Edit Field", and then "Suppress all
non-delimiter chars". This works, but is obviously time-consuming. Is
there any way of getting rid of the trailing space by default? How
could I remove it from all references in a document?

Thanks!

Dimitris