Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

Default My Paragraph Numbering Keeps Resetting Itself

I need to create a very large (500 - 600 pgs) multi-chapter document. For
document control purposes, I need to be able to revise and issue individual
chapters, rather than revising and reissuing the whole monster every time I
need to correct an error on one page. Pages need to include the chapter
number as part of the page number (e.g., 1-1, 1-2, etc), both in the footer
of each page and also in the TOC. Paragraph numbers also need to include the
chapter number (e.g., 1.1, 1.2, etc.).

I thought the best way to build this thing would be to create each chapter
as an individual document and then link them through a master document. I
created a "BlankDocument.dot" template with outline numbering on Headings 1
through 9. Body Text is the style for unnumbered paragraphs. Each chapter has
only one Heading 1 paragraph, and I've been using Format - Bullets and
Numbering - Customize to set the numbering to start at the proper number for
that chapter.

Every time I close the document, the Heading 1 numbering resets to 1. I
have tried modifying the Heading 1 style in each chapter, and it still resets
to 1 when I close. I have tried modifying the Heading 1 style and selecting
the "Automatically Update" or "Save to Template" options. If I select
"Automatically Update," they still reset to 1 when I close. If I "Save to
Template," it changes the numbering on every chapter. If I customize the
numbering by typing the chapter number into the "Number Format" field, the
chapter number no longer shows up in the page number or the TOC.

How can I make the paragraph numbering "stick" and still show up in the
footers and the TOC?