Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
H.P.Hoeie, Norway

Default Headers are not updated by template

I know these two places, and my templates work perfectly well following
advice from this community. Still I have several reasons for not storing my
templates this way, like putting them on my flash drive, working on other
peoples systems etc.

Generally this works well - updating styles.

But can I take it that there is a constraint in MS Word (My version is 2003
on a WinXP-system) on storing templates? If I choose to store templates
elsewhere, I just have to take the consequences?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Templates of private character thus has to be treated the other way.

I just have to cope with the fact that my headers cannot be stored in the
template due to the way I work with templates?

Nope. There are two places to store templates. The first is the user
templates folder. This is where normal.dot is stored and this folder should
_not_ be shared. You can put your own templates in this folder and they will
be available through File New. The second is the workgroup templates
folder which would contain your official templates. For more on the
different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of
templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"H.P.Hoeie, Norway" wrote in
message ...
I agree - this is the proper way. I work on a large network daily, and the
official templates are stored in Word-manner and managed the way yuo
suggest.
Templates of private character thus has to be treated the other way.

I just have to cope with the fact that my headers cannot be stored in the
template due to the way I work with templates?

"Anne Troy" wrote:

The "real" way to use a template is to create the document by hitting
File--New and choosing the template, not to simply apply the template,
which only brings styles, autotext, and the use of macros that might be
stored in the template.
Perhaps these tips might help you:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/t...osoft_word.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"H.P.Hoeie, Norway" wrote in
message ...
I create different templates for different tasks. One annoying thing
about
this is that I don't manage to store complete headers in my template.
The
header consists of a simple text wiht horizontal underlining.
When I connect the template to a new document,( remembering "updating
styles", deconnecting other global templates) I see no benefit of my
efforts.
I have also tried typing the text directly in the template too. This
does'nt work either.
What I am to do now?