Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Default How do I stop Word from creating copies of deleted files?

This is a Windows filing system issue and you should ask in a Windows
newsgroup, but it is likely that when you select them to delete them you are
inadvertently copying them to the same folder. If you select a file and
press the DEL key does it go away then?

Andy Dunning wrote:
Graham,
thanks much for your reply. The problem I'm experiencing is that the
temporary files don't go away; they're hanging around in my "My
Documents" folder, and every time I try to delete them from that
folder, new copies appear. So now I have files with names like "copy
of copy of blah.tmp" and "copy (2) of copy of blah.tmp" A couple
hundred of these have appeared in my "My Documents" file and I can't
make them go away. This may not be a Word problem; maybe it's an XP
thing. Don't know. But thanks for taking the time to think about
this, anyway.

Andy

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Word makes temporary working files in the User Temp folder, the
Document folder and the templates folder(s) which are removed when
Word is closed. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Andy Dunning wrote:
I'm using Word 2000 under XP. Word or XP continues to make .tmp
copies of my files. When I try to clean out the My Documents folder,
the system makes a copy of the file I delete. Why is this, and how
do I stop it so that the My Documents file is not filled with
copies of files I don't need in the first place?
Thanks!