Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David Nebenzahl

Default How do I add a third page to a 2 page template?

Charles Kenyon spake thus:

There's something about all versions (at least since Word 97) that makes it
problematic. You just haven't run into the problems or you haven't
recognized what was causing the problems when you did.

For whatever reason, in Word a page break does not substitute for a
paragraph break. Thus, the page break is inside the paragraph on the
following page. (That's right, pages are subsets of paragraphs rather than
the other way around.) It is in the style of that paragraph. If you use
automatic tables of contents or StyleRef fields, you'll get all sorts of
weird results.

Yes, now I know what you're talking about. But it's never been a problem
for me because I recognized this behavior early on, and without thinking
too much about it always made sure that my page breaks were attached to
empty paragraphs, or otherwise attached to paragraphs in such a way so
as not to cause nasty surprises. (One thing I always do is to turn on
viewing paragraph marks and tabs so I know what the hell is going on
"behind the scene".)