Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default line break after number in a heading

Indeed there is. It's extremely unobvious, and I would never have discovered
it on my own because I almost never use outline numbering, but here's the
trick (with thanks to whoever showed it to me):

1. Set I, II, III,... number style for Level 1.

2. For Level 2 and below, check the box for "Legal style numbering."

"ltsolis" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne

Thanks for your response. It did work. I have another question relating

number. I have a situation like this where I have heading looking like
"Article II" using the roman numeral style numbering.

I want heading 2 to have the numbering 2.1, 2.2, etc. Currently, if I

choose
roman numbering for heading 1, it affects puts roman numbering for heading

2
like II.1, II.2, II.3.

Is there a way to have a different style of numbering for heading 1 and
heading 2.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

ltsolis.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It you're actually using a line break (rather than a paragraph break),

you
shouldn't be getting a number on the second line. Set up your paragraph
numbering so that "Schedule" is part of the numbering. Select "Nothing"

for
"Follow number with." Then insert a line break (Shift+Enter) following

the
number and type your title. In the TOC, you'll get "Schedule 1" followed

by
a space (which replaces the line break), followed by your title. For

other
approaches, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mberedHeadings

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"ltsolis" wrote in message
How can I accomplish the following using outline numbering (styles and
formatting):

I want to have a heading with the number "Schedule 1 - This is the

heading
title". I know how what to do to accomplish this. However, I want to

put
line break after Schedule 1 and take out the hyphen so that I end up

with
situation like this:

Schedule 1
This is the heading title

where the two lines are of the same heading and are centered. I do it

right
now by manually entering a break and taking out the number for the

second
line, but doing it that way messes up the TOC because it becomes two
different headings.

Is there a way to do this automatically?

Please help.

Thanks.