Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
v-ger

Default Merge changes data to 0's

In a Word doc, merging simple Excel (2003) data (Address, ZIP, etc.) one of
my field codes inserts the number 0 in the doc rather than the data I have in
the column when it is a complicated number (e.g., 24-B). Where I have simple
numbers (single or multiple digits - doesn't matter) it inserts the data just
fine. I can view which ones are going to be changed to 0's when the "Mail
Merge Recipients" window pops up during the merge.

I have changed the cell formatting for the entire column to numbers,
general, text, etc. but that hasn't helped. If I import it into a Word text
file w/table that will fix it, but the Excel wksheet is under constant
revision week to week, so importing each time isn't a good workaround.

Does anyone know how and why the merge changes my data? Why does it change
just the records that aren't simple numbers? Word & Excel 2003 on XP Pro,
merging to single page doc from single worksheet, about 250 merge records /
approx 10 columns. I did not create either the doc or the spreadsheet
myself, but inherited them from someone who is having this issue in hopes
that I might help them - but I cannot figure it out. Please, if you know
what the issue is...

Thank you very much!