Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl

Default Table of Contents Mystery

II have just received a long document which has a table of contents showing
levels 1 and 2.

In the document itself there appear to be three levels at first glance:
Heading I, heading 1.1 and (a). However, in Normal view the (a) paragraph
shows up as heading 2 and heading 1.1 also shows up as heading 2.

If I press enter after 1.1, then as expected, 1.2 appears. If I press enter
after (a), then as expected a (b) appears. Yet they both say heading 2 in
Normal view. When I toggle the field codes in the original TOC, the entries
disappear and a shaded {TOC \F} remains.

There doesnt seem to be a single TOC marking in it and no style separators;
it was not typed manually.

When I try to generate the table of contents by styles, the (a) paragraph
shows up in the TOC as part of level 2, along with every single word in the
paragraph. How did the originator of this document generate a beautiful TOC
without the (a) paragraph showing up in the TOC as part of level 2? Its
driving me crazy!

Thanks, for the millionth time!