Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
anon k

Default Page x of y ("y" is wrong)

LisaH wrote:
My customers want their document to have the page numbering start on what is
actually the 3rd page of the document. I can set the start number of the 3rd
page to 1, but then the final page says "Page 131 of 133." How can I make
that "of total" page number come out correctly?

FYI, I've read several articles on Word page numbering, but none seems to
specifically address this. I gather that I could make it happen if I divided
the document into two sections and numbered the sections differently, but the
document has several landscaped pages and so it already consists of more than
one section.

Thanks!

If you know how many initial pages won't be numbered, you can nest
{numpages} in a calculation field to produce the correct "of total"
number, viz.

{page} of {={numpages}-2}

I'm not sure how to make Word compute the offset automatically, however.
There's probably some clever way to extract it.