Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoanG

Default Updating cross references changes formatting of other text

I have a long document that has many crossreferences to figures. The cross
reference only contains the Figure Number. When I click on a cross reference
and select F9 to update the figure number, Word inserts a carriage return and
changes the words just prior to the cross reference to a "caption" format
(smaller font, different style and bold). This is really a pain especially
when I do an update to the entire document and have to go back and change 30
sentences back to the "normal" format. Any ideas how to stop this?