Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alex Alex is offline

Default working with 2 or more languages

Ok, tried out the language bar. I think I'll stick with the pull-down menu I
added in Word.

The language bar is useful when creating a new document: simply select a
language from the bar, and the document's language settings switches to that
set in the language bar. Useful.

Unfortunately, this works on a per-document basis, not on a multi-language
document, where the previous method of selecting text, then
tools-language-... etc. is necessary.

Thanks for your help!

Microsoft: Please could you remove all the non-installed languages, and put
them in some distant office preferences dialogue box, possibly with a link to
microsoft.com with options to purchase further language packs. But PLEASE,
NOT on the front-end where people simply want to switch languages without
fuss and scrolling through thousands!

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

Hi Alex,

The current language bar feature is actually adequate for your needs.
However, you need to change a few settings.
Go into Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages,
Details. Then remove French and Spanish (your non default languages).
Then add them again. However, in this case when you click add, make sure
to set the Keyboard layout/IME checkbox and set the keyboard layout to
GB (more appropriately United Kingdom or United Kingdom Extend. Check
which keyboard layout is currently associated with your GB input
language). In essence, you are adding French as input language with the
GB keyboard layout. Now when you switch between input languages, the
keyboard layout stays the same, but the input language changes
appropriately which is exactly what you are looking for.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Alex" wrote in message
news
I frequently work with BOTH French and English language documents. The
current language bar would is pointless because GB and FR keyboards have
different layouts. I only have a GB keyboard.

To switch language (for spell-check) is a nightma I have to select Tools
- Language - Set Language - and scroll ALL the way down to French. When
selecting a language this way, what interest do I have in seeing all the
other languages listed before 'French' if they are not installed (and never
used)??

I have to do this 3 times a day (unless I leave an office application open).

Word does recognise languages automatically... but has a nervous breakdown
when working on a document containing 2 or more languages.

SUGGESTION:
Office 2007 should have a language toolbar amongst the standard, formatting,
tables and borders, etc. with a quick drop-down menu where one can chose
pre-selected languages.

In my case, a toolbar with French, Spanish and English. Voila!

click "I Agree" in the message pane.