Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Add page tabs to Word (like Excel)

Mark Thompson wrote:
[..]
I'll take your word for the "PageBreakBefore" property in a structured
document. That phrase is not in the initial Help search for Word, and the
extended search shows that it isn't really something that an ordinary user
would get into in a typical scenario such as the one I'm describing. Yes, I
understand what you're saying, but only because I'm a geek too. My wife is
an administrative assistant who does basic word processing and Excel, and
that would be way over the top for her.

I know what you mean. I'm not so sure that "tabs in Word" as you
describe them would be so easily understandable by "ordinary users"
(whatever that means :-)). I know a great deal of Excel "users" who
don't have an idea what those things there are in the first place. IIRC
every default Excel file has three of them; I would be very much
interested in seeing statistical data from MSFT indicating in how big a
percentage of all files there are still 3 tabs of which two are
completely empty.

I'm just looking for basic functionality, in an already understood paradigm
such as Excel tabs, that enhances productivity.

And I see your point. And both Document Map as well as OutlineView need
time to work with.

OTOH, for a spreadsheet application, it is often a lot better to
separate stuff in individual tabs indeed. As long as we look at a word
processor as something to create primarily printed text (read:
sequential text), I'm not sure this is readily adaptable.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS