Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How can I edit an Index?

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

"qumranandy" wrote in message
Dear Daiya,
I want a Table of Contents. The problem is that the print-file must look
thus:
1) Title Page
2) Dedication page
3) Table of Contents page
4) Preface page
5) Abbreviations page
6) Introduction (3 pages)
Then come chapter one - about 50 pages -, chapter two - about 300 pages,
chapter 3 - about 40 pages, 7 addenda, Scripture index, Bibliography.
Numeral pagination starts with number 6. The other pages (i.e. numbers

1-5
above) should have page numbered in Roman numerals. How?
Thank you,
qumranandy

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Glad to help.

On 9/11/06 9:10 AM, "qumranandy" wrote:

Thanks, Daia,
Both tips did it: hitting the turn off updates before print and change

page
format in editing to A4.
qyumranandy

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Um, trying to manually reformat for a different page size is a fool's

game.
Any Word document should be set up so that if you change the paper

size,
Word will reflow all the text to fit the new paper size and it will

still
look fine. Use File | Page Setup to change the paper size so that it

is
consistent throughout the document. You might try this ON A COPY,

just in
case it does get screwy.

Unless you did something really crazy, I can't see how changing the

whole
thing to B2 (is that 8.5x11?) would cause a problem. Since A4 is

thinner
than B2, your images should all be fine, just maybe with a slightly

bigger
left/right margin--unless you have images that stretched from top to

bottom
of the page, and that seems unlikely.

Or, assuming your intro, etc, are all just pure text, just use File |

Page
Setup to change the paper size there. No reformatting necessary.

(by the
way, File | Page Setup is the "obvious solution" in my view, not

changing
the paper itself.)

Note--Word reflowing the text is not the same thing as the printer

scaling
the text down to fit. Lines will wrap differently, page breaks will

come at
different places, etc. But like I said, any Word document,

especially a
book, should be set up such that this doesn't matter.

On 9/7/06 1:19 PM, "qumranandy" wrote:

Dear Daia,
Thanks very much. I'm not at my work table now, so I can't check

it. One
more problem is that I began working on the book in Europe, and the

main
file
is formatted for A4 paper, which is longer and thinner than B2

paper. When
went to print it out on B2 paper it's of course too long for the

page, and I
lose the page numbers at the bottom. The solution is obvious - use

A4
paper.
(I can't choose the printer option to downsize, because things I

have in the
text - images - must appear in real size - i.e. the size I scanned

them in.)
The problem is that the supplementary files - the introduction, etc.

are
formatted for B2 paper, so that when I go to print the whole thing

on A4
paper how do I reformat these smaller files so that they will be in

A4
format?
Qumranandy

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Tools | Options | Print--uncheck the "update fields" box. Updating

fields
are causing both the restoration of "aa" and the re-creation of

"Error!
Bookmark not defined."

Impossible to tell from your message what is causing the "Error!

Bookmark
not defined" in the first place.

You might also look up "Lock fields" in Help--which should prevent

a field
from being updated until you unlock it.