Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Default How can I edit an Index?

Dear Suzanne and Daia,
I solved the problems with the Index title. I had it formatted for two
columns instead of one. The new problem is this:
My WORD document is an extended table. In the left column I have
1,1
1,2
1,3-4
etc. The "1" indicates column one of the Dead Sea scroll I am
reconstructing, and "2" and "3-4" are the lines (3-4 for a phrase that
extends over two lines) where the word or words appear. In column two of the
table I explain the word or words. Thls goes on through 54,12 = column 54,
line 12 of the reconstructed scroll. I would like atop each page of
explanations to appear: "23,26-29" if on that page the explanations in the
right column of the table pertain to entries listed as 23,26 and 23,29 and
all between. Possibly the 23,26 has to be retrieved from a previous page if
the explanation extends over the page divide. How do I do it? I tried
formatting each entry in the left column with the style name "footer", but
then WORD changed "1,3" and "1,4" to 1,2 - the first one I formatted. I
found the "Create a dictionary-style page header" on the WORD help site, but
I'm not sure whether to use the paragraph or character style method. Please
help. Please hurry, because I have to finish the manuscript pronto.
qumranandy