margaret bartley

Default Clear some borders

This is Word 2000, Windows XP:

I have a five-column table that I want to display as two, side-by-side,
2-column tables, with the column in the middle having no lines.

_______________ _________________
|______|________| |_________|_______|
|______|________| |_________|_______|
|______|________| |_________|_______|
|______|________| |_________|_______|
|______|________| |_________|_______|

But when I go into the Shading and Borders wizards, and clear the middle
borders, they still show up on the top and bottom row. There is a solid
line across the top and bottom.

I tried clearing all the outside border, and that got rid of some, but not
all of the borders, and the bottom border across the bottom middle cloumn is
still there.

I've cleared both at the cell and table level, neither seems to clear that
middle column's outside border.

Thank you,
Margaret