Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Footer/Header to appear only when there is a second page

Hi John

Kamitsukenu wrote:
I'm trying to create a Footer saying "Continued" and the header on the next
page to say

"Page n
Quotation continued" where n is the page number, but only where there is
more than one page; if there is only one page I'd like it to be blank.

I can see a solution w/o any section breaks.

In your document (template), force Word unto a second page (a temporary
page break, or a couple of Return keys will do). In the footer, you
insert an IF field that checks if NUMPAGES is larger than 1, and nest in
it another IF field that checks whether you are on the last page. If
both conditions are true, you show whatever you want it to show. Same
thing can be done with the header.

Including "Different first page" in File | Page setup will simplify the
IF fields a bit.

HTH
Robert