Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default Styles

I don't suppose you are doing anything wrongly, you just don't have an
understanding of how styles work.

A document gets its styles from its template when created. After that
it's on its own. You can sort of do what you want to do, but using
ToolsTemplates and Addins to "attach" your template with "your" style
to each raw document. Then check the box "Automatically update
document styles." This will load your template styles into the
document. After you have done this, then go back and uncheck that
options before continuing to work with the document.

Now subject to what Suzanne has told you already, you may see your
style in the dropdown list. See:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...s/column14.asp
aalaan wrote:
OK. I need some help here. I'm trying to get into styles. Previously I would
look at a raw file, typically single spaces, US English, Times New Roman and
to prepare it I would select all then change the font to Arial, paragraphs
to 1.5 spacing, Select Australian English.

Now I believe I should be able to do that by creating a new style embodying
all the above, and then simply applying the style to each raw document
(going select all and then choosing the style). However,the raw documents I
look at have their styles already attached, and I now cannot find my new
style in the list. What am I doing wrongly?