Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Robinson Steve Robinson is offline

Default Cannot open Word 2007 doc even with Compatibility Pack installed

I have been sent a Word 2007 document by e-mail (.docx) and as I am running
Word 2003, it won't let me open it. I went onto the Microsoft website and
downloaded the 2007 Compatibility Pack and installed it, but still can't get
the document to open.

When I try to open the doc, it comes up with the following message: This is
a pre-release version of the Compatibility Pack and can open pre-release
Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a newer version of the
Compatibility Pack?

If I click on Yes, it takes me to the webpage where I downloaded the pack in
the first place. According to the webpage it *IS* the current version and not
the beta or anything (I have downloaded it again and re-installed it just to
be sure), so I don't know where to go from here.

Anyone got any ideas?