Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

Default Cannot open Word 2007 doc even with Compatibility Pack installed

Welcome to betamania. It will take a few weeks (or months ) to settle down.

In the meantime, if you have Word 2003 you need to tell the people sending
you documents that you can only accept documents in Word 2003 format. They
have the ability to convert them. You do not.

Dan

Steve Robinson wrote:
I have been sent a Word 2007 document by e-mail (.docx) and as I am
running Word 2003, it won't let me open it. I went onto the Microsoft
website and downloaded the 2007 Compatibility Pack and installed it,
but still can't get the document to open.

When I try to open the doc, it comes up with the following message:
This is a pre-release version of the Compatibility Pack and can open
pre-release Office 2007 files only. Do you want to check for a newer
version of the Compatibility Pack?

If I click on Yes, it takes me to the webpage where I downloaded the
pack in the first place. According to the webpage it *IS* the current
version and not the beta or anything (I have downloaded it again and
re-installed it just to be sure), so I don't know where to go from
here.

Anyone got any ideas?