Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Default Suggested Pdf software

You're Welcome!
`[:-}
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
Hi Pat

Just downloaded and have tried and it seems to work but will play with it more
later. Thanks for the tip and it might be a possible answer but like you I
will still stick to Word for most of the time.

Ken

"Pat Garard" apgarard-bigpond:net:au wrote in message
G'Day Ken,

Just as there is Microsoft Office, there is also Star Office by Sun
Microsystems.

The core of Star Office is a suite of Programs known as Open Office.

Now Open Office is FREE - yes FREE.

The suite consists of programs that have a VERY FAIR degree of
compatibility with Microsoft Office. These include:
Writer (Word)
Calc (Excel)
Impress (PowerPoint)

Using Writer, you can open standard Word documents with a reasonable
degree of confidence.

(Similarly for Impress and Calc ...)

To address your issue, Open Office also has an excellent 'Export as PDF ...'
facility.

While I won't be giving up Microsoft Office anytime soon, I always have Open
Office installed - I have a number of correspondents, clients and students
that
use Open Office/Star Office and I have inter-converted numerous Word docs
without any real problems.

You can download open Office 2.10 at:
http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html.

Good Luck!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
I continually generate four page Word Documents with 12/14 large photos. A
business associate, with Adobe Pdf Creator, can create a Pdf file which
always comes in at 240/300kbs max. This size of file is permitted as an
upload to my business web site and often used to email my customers.

However I just can't afford to buy the software for myself and have looked
at other Pdf creating software and downloaded a number of trial programmes
but every time the file sizes are far too large. Some let you tweak the
conversion setting but some don't and some have options for screen, home
printing or professional printing sizes.

Any ideas would be very welcome as I don't mind spending £50 or so but not
the hundreds of pounds for the Adobe.

Ken