Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hezzy Hezzy is offline

Default Headers in a Section

The document system where I work is set up in sections. For example, work
instructions under Contingency Plans consist of 9 different work
instructions. The work instructions make up a total of 14 pages. Some
instructions are 2 pages long, some 3 pages, etc. My new document is just 1
page. My new document is in Section 11. When I try to add the number of
pages (page 1 of 5) it automatically goes to page 1 of 14. I need it to say
page 1 of 1.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

I would gladly help you with the page numbers but I do not understand exactly
what your problem is. Could you please explain more clearly:

Do you have a document with only 1 page which should be page no. 14 of 14
or???

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Hezzy" wrote:

Thank you soooooooooo much Lene, I have been racking my brain all morning. I
followed your instruction to a "T" and got it straightened out. Thank you
again.
Now can you help me with page numbers. I added a new document which is
section #11. There is a total of 14 pages but my document is only 1 page.
When I try to add the page numbers it automatically goes to 1 of 14.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

This happens because the new header is linked to the previous header:

Go to the new section in your document. In Print Layout view, double-click
the header. Does a small text saying €śSame as previous€ť appear above the
header? If this is the case, turn it off by clicking the €śLink to previous€ť
icon in the €śHeader and Footer€ť toolbar (no. 5 command from the right). Now
you should be able to type a header without affecting the header in the
previous section.

If you need section-specific footers too, you must also turn off €śSame as
previous€ť in the footer.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg
DocTools €“ Denmark
www.thedoctools.com
Document automation €“ add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft Word

"Hezzy" wrote:

How do I make a new Section and add a new Header to it? When I insert a
section then try to add the Header it changes the Header on the section above
the one I'm trying to create.