Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Default Determining Which Template is Attached to a Document?

So let them scream . The cacophony will be a lot less than you'll get if
you try to write some code that opens documents on other people's computers.
(Believe me, you will NEVER hear the end of it if you try that...)

Send an email explaining how to fix it, and let them do the work.

"Mark" wrote in message
Thanks Jezebel

If we renamed the shared templates folder everyone would be screaming!!

I suppose we are just trying to get an idea of the scale of the problem as
most of ones we have tested so far (which has only been 1 sections work
area)are ok ie they point to the template with a drive letter -
J:/winword/templates, as opposed to the UNC path
\\server\winword\templates.
Plus it is very easy to fix - after the doc has opened 5 minutes later
though!

Cheers
Mark

"Jezebel" wrote:

This is technically feasible, but not straightforward particularly if you
are not familiar with writing scripts of macros (and presumably, if you
were, you wouldn't have posted in the first place). Might be simpler to
rename your shared template folder then wait to see who screams.

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi All

We have recently moved where we stored a number of organisational
templates
from one server to another. Users will generally access these
templates
by a
mapped drive which is setup via their login script and even though the
templates were moved to a different server the drive and path were kept
the
same.

However, we have since had users experiencing a problem whereby when
then
try and open some word docs it can hang for up to 5 minutes before the
document opens.

This happens when the document has a UNC path in Tools, Templates and
Add-Ins eg \\servername\winword\templates as opposed to the shared
drive.
We
suspect that some staff have had a shortcut on their desktop and have
accessed the templates from their rather than by the mapped drive. At
this
stage we don't really have an idea of how many documents are affected -
we
have a few helpdesk calls logged and mainly for older documents.
However
we
have a lot of areas and a lot of documents!

So...my question is - is there anyway we can run a 'scan' (via a VB
script?)
across all our shares and get a print out of which documents will have
the
UNC path set as opposed to the drive letter in Tools, Template and
Add-Ins?

Many thanks
Mark Jones