Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KYaeger KYaeger is offline

Default Mail merged document changed values

Yes, I have done more testing now and narrowing the problem down. Create a
new database. In a table, e.g employees, create a field, I named it salary.
Make it currency data type and format. Put in these numbers:$1983.90,
$927.20, $781.60, $2233.50, and $1355.04, and $1811.75.These are actual
numbers from a governmental db. Now put a database level password on it.
When connecting to this db from Word, it apparently can not use oledb, even
when the option to confirm conversions on open is NOT selected. I guess
because of the password. It appears to default in this instance to use ODBC.
Either by choosing ODBC when the option to confirm conversion is selected, or
by Word defaulting to this connection type, use mail merge in your document
with the salary field. I actually put it in twice, once no formatting and
once with the currency formatting: \ #$#,###.00. And you should see the
error in the formatted only figures with all but the last two numbers which
convert OK. Let me know what you see. If I use DDE, all is OK, but the user
will have to do this each time they use mail merge with a new letter. Also,
if I set the Access db to number and let only Word do the formatting, it
appears OK. However, the user would like it stored in currency for reports,
etc. I think we may end up taking off the password and using network file
security. This will revert back to oledb and is also OK. It seems to be
when Word ues ODBC that we have the problem.

Karen
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I have tried and failed to reproduce this. Is there any more that you can
tell us about the Access file and how the relevant data is created and
stored?

KYaeger wrote:
Also, WHY does simple formating change the values??? I am talking
about random changing like e.g. 2258.80 becoming $2266.00 in the word
document. I might be abel to understand simple rounding but not this
type of change. This is VERY important because the client uses mail
merge for intent to hire letters and the salaries are going in wrong
about 10% of the time.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

If I interpret your statement correctly:

"If I remove the field code for currency formatting..."

it sounds like the salary is being stored in something other than a
Currency field with currency formatting forced on it through the
field's properties. That is most likely the source of your problem.
The field Data Type should be set to Currency with no change to the
defult formatting for the Data Type.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"KYaeger" wrote in message
I have a word letter with merged fields from Access. One field
containing salary sometimes is not what is stored in the Access
table. e.g. employees
salary in employees table is $927.20. In the merged document it is
listed as
$929.00-even rounded it would not be that. If I remove the field
code for currency formatting it will appear as 927.2. In most cases
the merged field
is correct, but occassionally this problem will come up. I have
tried re-entering it in the table, but still wrong in the document.
We should be
able to rely on correct information as there are no calculations,
only straight merging form one table. This is Word2003 and Access
2003. Thoughts?