Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default mailto: hyperlink syntax to embed a subject line?

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:28:02 -0400, "Jay Freedman"
wrote:

Jay Freedman wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Is there a mailto: syntax or switch that would let me not only launch
a pre-addressed email, but also specify a desired subject line?

example: click HERE to launch an email to with
"Support Request" as the subject of the email.

Thanks -

No, there is no such syntax for a hyperlink. But you can use one of
the macros in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/SendMail.htm,
and use a MacroButton field formatted with the Hyperlink style to
launch the macro.

I'll eat my words. Suzanne is exactly right, and it does work in Word. In
the Insert Hyperlink dialog, use the Address box to type the mailto:
address followed by ?subject= and the subject. As usual, the text displayed
in the document can be different.

I promise, this is the last time I'll reply to my own post... :-)

If you use the Insert Hyperlink dialog, and click the "E-Mail
Address" button in the lower left corner, it has boxes for you to
enter the address and the subject, and it will automatically construct
the proper mailto: format. This is true at least as far back as Word
2000.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman