Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Troubleshooting Get Started Add-in Tab

That makes perfect sense! Thanks for sharing your experiance with everyone,
Bob, I'm sure it will help out others who are having problems with this. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Bob Bailin" wrote in message
I had this problem on a recent installation of Office 2007.
I installed the Get Started Tab programs for Word and Excel,
but neither would show up on the ribbon. Framework 1.1, 2.0
and 3.0 were installed on this system.

During installation of Office 2007, I disabled certain features I felt
I would never need, including Visual Basic for Applications,
Digital Certificate for VBA Projects, and .NET Programmability
Support.

After going to Add/Remove programs and changing MS Office 2007
to enable these 3 features, I went back into Word 2007 and the Get
Started tab still wasn't there on the ribbon.

So I went back to Add/Remove programs, uninstalled the Word 2007
Get Started Tab program, rebooted the system (as it requested),
reinstalled the Word 2007 Get Started Tab program, went back into
Word 2007, and lo and behold, the Get Started tab is now on the system.

I'll have to uninstall and reinstall the Excel and PowerPoint versions to
get those working, too.

So, these Get Started tab programs require either VBA, VBA digital
certificate support, or .NET Programmability Support enabled (or
all three). The installation program should be updated to check that
the needed options are present during installation.

Bob