Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Page numbering problem

I believe I understand why you are getting that result, but I doubt that
there is any way to get Word to give you what you want. I think that you
will have to select the table of contents and then use Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
unlink it and then manually change the 8-1 to 9-1. You should do that on a
copy of the document after saving it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

charles wrote in message ...
"Stefan Blom" wrote in news:#zYUgQviHHA.4904
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/ChapterNumber.htm.

Thanks for the quick reply, but it misses the point. I did everything
exactly as that document suggests and still have the problem.

I successfully get page numbering by chapter in the footer. The chapter
shows the correct page number in the TOC. BUT the section header, which
sits above the chapter header reflects the previous chapter in the TOC.
Section II, which begins with Chapter 9, shows a page number of 8-1 in the
TOC, even though it is on the same page as the Chapter 9 header, page 9-1.

Is there no fix for this?

thanks,
- charles