Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
cycle_simon[_2_] cycle_simon[_2_] is offline

Default Using embedded spreadsheets

Hi Henk57:

Thanks for the reply. The challenge is that the questionnaire is
distributed to respondents and so it is much more convenient to have it
contained in a single file. Trying to do it this way is also imposed by a
constraint to have the hardcopy look identical to the "electronic" copy that
respondents willl complete.

What I have come to learn is that when the link to the embedded spreadsheet
object is first created, the field (displayed with Alt F9) has the corrrect
path & filename for the Word doc. For example:

{Link Excel.Sheet.8 "c:\\test questionnaire.doc"
"_1242205181!Sheet1!R1C1:R3C3" \a \p }

The first time the link is selected and you right click to open the link,
the speadsheet opens but upon returning to the Word document, the field
changes from the actual file name to:

{Link Excel.Sheet.8 "Worksheet in test questionnaire.doc" Sheet1!R1C1:R3C3"
\a \p }

When you then try to open this linked object again, Word says the the
filename is invalid or the link is corrupt.

I have tried to replace the file name with the "filename \p" field, but Word
overwrites this as well.

Any suggestions???

"Henk57" wrote:

Hi Simon:
Wldnt it easier to process everyhting in Excel and just link the output
tables to the Word file? You can dynamically link the Excel tables in
Word, so any change will be reflected in Word automatically.
HTH - Henk

cycle_simon;2178216 Wrote:
Hi, first time here. Not sure if this is a real Word tables question or
not.

I am setting up a questionnaire in in Word document. A number of the
questionnaires request input of data (rows and coulmns of data). I
would like
to use the data enetered in one table to populate certain cells of a
subsequent table.

I thought I could use an embedded spreadsheet and use the different
tabs
(worksheets) of the spreadsheet to capture the data and have formulas
between
the worksheets to automatically populate the cells.

My problem is that I cannot find a way to link or reference one
embedded
spreadsheet to another.

Henk57