Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Mail merge using calculation field in an IF field

It's normal. I've never sat down and worked out exactly when Word completely
resolves the result and when it leaves the field in the document, but I
suspect the rules are fairly straightforward. Sometimes it is important to
know if, for example, you need to be able to refresh included items
(INCLUDETEXT/INCLUDEPICTURE) or if you need a field in a header/footer that
evaluates differently on each page in the result document.

Peter Jamieson

"Ed" wrote in message
Hello All,

I'm testing with Word 2003 and when I perform a mail merge that uses a
calculation field inside an IF field, the calculation field seems to
become
unlinked in the merged document.

That is, if I have something like this in my mail merge main document ...

{ = 2+3 }

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "MyName" } = "Ed" "{ = 2+3 }" "" }

... after the merge the first calculation is still a field but the one in
the IF field is just the value 5. If I select it, the right-click menu
doesn't have the field options and Alt+F9 leaves it as 5.

Is this just Word's "normal" behaviour or am I missing something?

Regards.

Ed