Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_28_] Henk57[_28_] is offline

Default Need hidden headings in TOC

Hi Sherlock:
The Show/Hide term put me (and likely Herb too) off guard. I believe
it can be done, but the Show/Hide button is used for showing/hiding
paragraph marks etc.
Anyway, what you can do is to create parallel styles, with the fonts
checked as hiddden. So create a style "NormalH" identical to "Normal"
but for the checked "hidden" in the Font setting. Do that for every
style for ewhich you need hidden texts (Heading 1H, tables, lists,
etc).
It's then a matter of assigning the appropriate styles to your headings
and texts. Also, in your TOC set up you need to be sure that the
Heading Styles "H" are also assigned to the right level
(Insert/Reference/Index and Tables/Table of Contents and then click
Options). Obviously, you can give yr H styles a different appearance,
as with any style setting (e.g., a different font colour).

Once done, you can "show/hide" the texts by checking/clearing the
"Hidden text" attribute in Tools/Options/View. Likewise, you can print
or not by checking/clearing "Hidden text" in Tools/Options/Print.
As far as I could test (XP / Word 2003) it worked, but I didnt test it
at length.

HTH, GL,
Henk

Sherlock;2193525 Wrote:
Thank you, Herb. I know it worked at one time, because I've used it in
years
past. It was a slick way to keep two documents synchronized. The last
time I
used it was for a combination Instructor/Student manual.

I can understand why they changed it, because the average user wouldn't
have
understood the nuances and would have ended up with unexpected results
in
their TOC. I know, because I had that problem till I figured out what
was
going on.

Be nice if they could make it an available option for those of us who
need
it and know how to use it.

Thanks for your help.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
-
I've never seen it work (never tried it before just now), but I can
confirm
that it doesn't work in Word 2003 or Word 2007.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Sherlock" wrote in message
...-
I'm trying to create a double-purpose document. I've done it before
in
previous versions, but it doesn't seem to be working in Word 2003 --
at
least
not in this document.

I put all of the text for both a user guide and a developer guide in
single document. Then I hid all of the text that applies only to the
developer guide.

It used to be that with Show/Hide on, the TOC included hidden
headings and
numbered the pages accordingly, and with Show/Hide off, the TOC
excluded
hidden headings and numbered the pages accordingly. It worked great!

Does that not work anymore? If not, are there any solutions other
than
saving a temporary version of the file and unhiding all of the text?
Seems
such a clumsy approach to what used to be a slick method.

I do know from personal experience that if a user doesn't understand

what's
happening and sets Show/Hide correctly before updating the TOC, it
can
cause
undesired results. However, MS could put in one of those messages
with the
"Don't show this again" check box in that shows up in documents with

hidden
text in them, explains the issue, and asks how the user wants to
address
it.

Thanks for your help. -
-