Coder Droid

To clarify, I'm talking about the Styles dropdown on the Formatting
toolbar, not the Styles and Formatting task pane.

Me too...

Aha! I started to mention this option earlier, having remembered it
incorrectly, but it turns out that my first impulse was correct: on
the Options tab of Tools | Customize, if you have the box for "List
font names in their font" checked, you also get a WYSIWYG display of
styles.

Lemme try that. Give me half a minute. [jeopardy theme song plays]
Bingo. That was it. So for the record, we can pretend this statement
never happened:

There is no setting. Plain text is the default and can't be changed.

Thanks for the help. The plain text version is so much easier. Although,
I do like the font list displayed in the font. Guess I can't have
everything!

--cd