Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Day Bob Day is offline

Default Stopping "Do you want to save changes to the document template?" Post 2

Using Word 2003 with all latest updates.

Created a new template test.dot but did nothing to it and save it as a
template (i.e. a blank page).

Created a new document based on this test.dot and did nothing to it and
clicked the save button icon. It saved with no dialog boxes to test.doc.

I then typed the letter B, and clicked the save button and got the following
dialog box question:

Do you also want to save changes to the document template?

I answered Yes.

Tools, Templates & add-ins is unchecked for automatically update styles.

I opened test.dot, and the letter B was not type on it (which I would expect
it to be, since I indicated Yes).

I repeated the test several times in several different ways, and with any
change to the new .doc you got the save template question. Without any
change, you did not.

This question should not be appearing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

"Shauna Kelly" wrote in message
Hi Bob

There must be something in the template that is making it "dirty". It
could be any kind of change at all, but the most frequent culprit is
adding, deleting or changing toolbars or buttons on toolbars.

You'll need to fix the template to solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Bob Day" wrote in message
Every time a save a document (click on save icon) that originated from a
File New custom template, I get the question "Do you want to save changes
to the document template?"

To me, this is very dangerous and could ruin a lot of work on templates.
I do not what this questions asked every time or at all. How do I stop
it from being asked? I see nothing in the template itself that would
cause it to be asked?

Thanks!
Bob