Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default changing .dot back to .doc

I *think* it was new in Word 2003, but possibly 2002. One of the big changes
came in Word 97, when it became possible to store macros in documents (and
perhaps before that it also wasn't possible to store toolbars and keyboard
shortcuts in docs, either?). When it got to the point that you could store
just about anything in a document that you can store in a template (AutoText
is a notable exception), then I guess the distinction began to gray.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
So you can! When did they sneak that change in?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It is impossible to save a template as a
document. It will always be a template.

This used to be true, and I thought it made sense, but apparently so
many people got in trouble that in Word 2003 I believe you *can* save
a template as a document. sigh

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you create a document (DOC) from a template (DOT), then if you
have set up the save option as Herb indicated, the resulting file
will be a document not a template. You don't *open* templates to
create documents you create *new* documents from templates. It is
impossible to save a template as a document. It will always be a
template.

mossrose wrote:
Herb, thanks very much. Got it changed back for the future. Just a
question (I'm obviously a bit technically-challenged here!)...if I
use a template (either a Word one or one I've generated myself) for
a document, will it automatically save that document as a .dot, or
only if I change that setting you just told me how to change? Is
there any problem with having documents as *.dot* ones when I'm
sharing with other people? I'm just used to the *.doc* format.
Thanks again for your help! mossrose

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

You don't say which version of Word you're using. Assuming Word
2003 (or something similar), choose Tools - Options - Save, and
set Save Word files as: to Word Document (*.doc). I suspect it's
currently set to Document Template (*.dot).

If you're using Word 2007, click Office button - Word Options -
Save tab, and set "Save files in this format:" to the desired
non-.dot format.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"mossrose" wrote in message
Somehow I changed the normal template (I guess) so that all my
Word documents
are being saved as .dot instead of .doc. I'd like to change this
back. How
do I do this and what effect will it have on my documents saved as
.dot, if
any?