Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Editing Recipients in Word 2007 Mail Merge

and of course the data source was quoted as a
Word table which does tend to make things easier

Whoops! I've been labouring under the mistaken assumption that it was an
Access table.

There have been a few reports in the Word forums about problems with
saving Word documents across networks.

Yes, there is definitely a problem there, unless it has been fixed in an
update since about 2 months ago.

I agree the mail merge handling is rather better in 2007 than it was in
2003, but there are oddities that can catch you out, such as the merge to
labels automatic adding of line spacing if you follow the logicval merge
process, but not if you start from a template and attach the data source
before changing the document type to labels. Even the dreaded addressblock
field works rather better now.

There certaily seems to be quite a mix. I get the impression they might have
planned to do a lot more with the "content controls" but couldn't get it all
into this release, but maybe they have now decided that anything beyond a
basic merge is going to require programming.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
There have been a few reports in the Word forums about problems with
saving Word documents across networks. My comments referred to only what I
tested here on a stand-alone system - and of course the data source was
quoted as a Word table which does tend to make things easier

I agree the mail merge handling is rather better in 2007 than it was in
2003, but there are oddities that can catch you out, such as the merge to
labels automatic adding of line spacing if you follow the logicval merge
process, but not if you start from a template and attach the data source
before changing the document type to labels. Even the dreaded addressblock
field works rather better now.

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Hi Graham,

Incidentally I have now managed to check with an Access .mdb and the
process should be the same or extremely similar for simple tables,
which is an improvement on Word 2003 where AFAIK only OALs are
editable from within Word. There may well be limitations if the data
source is a linked table, or a query (for one thing, not all queries
are logically editable anyway).
FWIW there are some limitaitons when you edit some types of data
source in Word 2007 - if the data source is on a network drive, you
can go through all the editing steps you describe then find that Word
fails to save the edits (in fact the messages suggest that it is
trying to save a temp file, not the actual data source. This has been
reported to Microsoft but of course I do not know whether and when
the problem will be fixed.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If your data source is a Word table and you have the data source
attached to your merge document (with an old merge doc it will
probably be worth re-attaching the data source, for as Peter says
Word 2007 uses a different default method of connecting to its data
from Word 2000), click the Mailings Tab, then Edit Recipient List.
This will open a dialog box with the records in the top section and
at the bottom there is a section labelled Data Source with a window
showing the path of the attached data source. Select that and the
Edit button below it becomes available. You can add addresses using
the Add Tool. When you have completed your merge and close out of
the merge document Word prompts you to save your data doc. This it
will then save should you agree? --

nettiem wrote:
We just updated our Office from 2000 to 2007 and are having trouble
with our mail merges. Is it possible to open the main merge
document and from there open and edit the data source? The data
sources are Word tables and we are sort of able to get to the
tables by highlighting the data source and clicking on edit, but
information in the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box it won't let us
save the changes. It askes if we want to save them and then tells
us they are read only. View source always worked well before and
it is pretty necessary since some of our fields are multiple lines
(i.e. address, city, state and zip in one field).