Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Paula Paula is offline

Default Word 2007 won't open Word 2003 document

We have a Word 2003 document (.doc) that was originally created back in 2000.
The document is a protected table that contains fields for the users to
complete. When I try to open it in Word 2007, I get an error saying Word has
encountered a problem and needs to shut down. No document opens; Word
closes. It doesn't matter if I leave the document protected or unprotect it.

When I saved this document as a .dot, I was able to open it but then I can't
edit the original document data - just the fields.

Any idea on what the problem might be and how I can correct it?