I think that's rather disingenuous, since a post via Google *is* to Usenet,
and those of us using newsreaders will see your address if we answer your
post (as below).

"sf" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not sure how to keep my gmail address from showing. I've subscribed to
the group via google groups and selected a nickname, but apparently
it's not working the way they claim.

from Help:
Is my email address visible on the web when I post to a group?

When your message is posted to a group, Google Groups masks your email
address on the web to prevent automated computer programs from
harvesting it for spamming purposes. If, however, you send out your
post via email or to Usenet, your email address will be visible to
anyone who receives it.

I have absolutely NO idea what that last sentence means. So if anyone
has a clue, clue me in please!

sf