Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default Word 2007 Simple (Or not so simple) List Numbering

Some progress. I apply a style other than normal to the lines of text.
Select the first four lines and apply a Numbering scheme using the numbering
icon,
skip a few lines and select a few more lines and apply the same Numbering
scheme. A little lightning bolt icon (I forget what it is called) appears
adjacent to the second list. With this icon you can toggle the list to
restart at 1 or continue from previous list.

However, once you modify the list (e.g., delete and item or add an item),
that icon disappears and I don't see a way to get it back.
--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Greg Maxey wrote:
Despite hope for the better, I find list numbering in Word 2007 as
frustrating as any previous version. I experimented with it today
and here are my observations and questions:

I typed 10 or 12 lines of text in normal style. I selected the first
four lines, clicked the numbering icon in the Paragraph group and
selected one of the Number Library formats. The four lines where
numbered 1 through 4 correctly and the style was changed to List
Paragraph. I don't really understand that part but maybe ignorance
is bliss in this case.
I skipped a few lines and then selected 4 more lines of text. Then I
used the numbering icon to apply the same numbering format. To my
utter glee the paragraphs where numbered 1 through 4 as I would
intuitively expect.
Now the first problem. I put the cursor in the first paragraph of the
second list and clicked "Set numbering value" in the Numbering Library
gallery. I then choose "Continue from previous list" then "OK." Nothing
happened. I would expect those four paragraphs in the second
list to be renumbered 5 through 8. Nothing I could do would cause
those lines to renumber as a continuation from the previous list.

I started again with the 12 lines of unnumbered text. I applied List
Number style to the first four lines (they numbered 1 though 4),
skipped a few lines and applied List Number style to four more lines.
They numbered 5 through 8. I put the cursor in the paragraph
numbered "5" and then with the numbering icon, set numbering value,
start new list, clicked OK and nothing happened. I notice that
"start new list" is the default option but the "set value to" read
"5." That doesn't make much sense as most new list would start with
"1" I would think. So I tried again to start new list and this time
I put a "1" in the set to value. Eureka!! The second list was
renumbered 1 through 4.
Now the second problem. If I delete the first paragraph of the
second list the remaining three lines are not renumbered 1 through 3
but 5 through 7. This is clearly broken IMHO.

While it appears the MS went to some effort to simplify simple list
numbering the process seems to still be clearly broken. I will try
to keep an open mind and hopefully someone will be along to enlighten
me on what I did wrong to make this process appear to be as broken as
ever. Thanks.