Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields,microsoft.public.access

Default Create Mail Merge List/Database in Access 2007

Perhaps it would be best if I took further discussion off-line, to the
private newsgroup, and then posted a summary here, afterwards.

Whichever you like!

FWIW the problem with trying to do many mailmerges is that /so many/
conditions have to be right before they will function properly. If you're
doing the merges for yourself, it's not that hard to get it right, but if
you're trying to distribute an automated solution, you end up having to
consider fixing the user's registry, fixing their Word options, putting
macro code in to update the output document, and therefore ensuring that the
user's security settings let them run that code, and so on.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Tom Wickerath" AOS168b AT comcast DOT net wrote in message
Hi Peter,

Thank You for posting your sample. I stayed late at work, and spent some
time looking at your sample. I need to do the same on my PC at home. I'll
have more to write within the next few days, but I've simply run out of
time
now. Perhaps it would be best if I took further discussion off-line, to
the
private newsgroup, and then posted a summary here, afterwards.

I couldn't tell that F9 was doing anything. Now, I wonder if you meant
Alt-F9 the first time?

No, Select everything and F9 was intended to update the fields.

I think I may have been failing to select everything first. I was just
trying to push the F9 button.

It is the same until you refresh the fields. However, since it doesn't
seem
to be doing that for you, maybe you have F9 set to something other than
"refresh field codes"?

I have not done any remapping of any keys in Word. I only know how to do
the
most basic stuff in Word. I'm a lot more comfortable as an Access
Developer,
vs. any kind of Word guru.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/ex...tributors.html

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Hi Tom,

Funnily enough, it was the Access/Word combination I was unsure of - the
technique was well-established before that.

Can you get your example to work using Word 2003 with Access 2003? If
so,
is it possible for you to post a downloadable sample, with the images
in a
folder such as C:\Pics or C\Data\Pics, as in Cindy's original example?

For a short time only,

1. see if you can download

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/downloads/pjjtest1.zip

(it's about 370Kb)

2. It expects to be unpacked to c:\pjjtest1 (there should be folders
c:\pjjtest1\database, c:\pjjtest1\documents, c:\pjjtest1\images. If you
unpack elsewhere (and even if you don't) you may have to reconnect to the
data source.

3. the database folder contains testdb.mdb with a single table containing
some very simple records with doubled-up backslash pathnames to the
images
folder

4. the documents folder contains
a. the_images.doc, with the images inserted using ordinary
INCLUDEPICTURE
fields
b. mmmd.doc, a Mail Merge Main Document with the kind of stuff we've
been
discussing
c. results.doc, the results immediately after a merge to a new document
d. results_after_select_and_update_fields.doc (self-explanatory name I
hope...)

This sample was made using Office 2003 SP3 (11.8166.8172) on Win XP Pro
SP2.

On your points..

I couldn't tell that F9 was doing anything. Now, I wonder if you meant
Alt-F9 the first time?

No, Select everything and F9 was intended to update the fields. Alt-F9
was
intended for inspecting the field codes.

{ IncludePicture "{ MergeField Photo }" }

making sure to use Ctrl F9 to enter the curly braces. When I
right-click
on
Toggle Field Codes, I see the following:

{ IncludePicture "C:\\Pics\\HPIM0783.JPG" }

I did not enter this path, but it is correct, so apparently Word
successfully replaced the "{ MergeField Photo }" with the actual path.
The
next record initially displays:

C:\\Pics\\HPIM0781.JPG (not correct). However, when I right-click on
this
merge field, and select "Toggle Field Codes", I now see:

{ IncludePicture "C:\\Pics\\HPIM0777.JPG" }

This is the behaviour I would expect.

The best I can seem to achieve was an address block that changed with
each
record, as expected, but the picture was the same for all records, as
though
it was simply inserted but not via a merge.

It is the same until you refresh the fields. However, since it doesn't
seem
to be doing that for you, maybe you have F9 set to something other than
"refresh field codes"?

Another thing that may affect this behaviour is the
FieldCalcSecurityLevel
registry setting which is described at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330079/en-us

I'm not conscious of having to change it for Word 2003 for this to work
but
people with Word 2002 installations may well have to mess around with
this.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk