Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Loosing access to data source in Word 2003

Could it be this one?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885832/en-us

I do not know if the above article solves the problem I am about to describe
or not:
a. By default, Word connects to several types of data source (including
..xls and .txt) using OLE DB
b. To do that, it constructs an OLE DB connection string that includes the
full path name of the "database", which is either a file name (e.g. if it is
a .mdb) or a folder name (e.g. if it is a .txt file). The connection string
also contains a lot of other stuff that you cannot eliminate.
c. When it saves the connect string, it truncates it to 255 characters.
d. If the pathname in the connect string is too long, the connection string
may be truncated in the middle of the pathname. In that case, Word will be
unable to connect to the data source when it re-opens.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Franz Weghaus" wrote in message
Hello!
I try to create a mailmerge file. So I create a connection to the data
source (xls or txt). I can save the file and everything seens to be OK. So
far so good. But if I reopen the merge file, the connection is lost. This
only happens if the data source is located in a network drive. I tried to
solve the problem described here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834699/en-us

(Method 1) but it didn't work. So are there other possibilities? Thanks.
Greets
Franz
p.s.: Sorry for my bad english.